Weekend or longer courses for newcomers to Samatha meditation are held regularly at the Samatha Centre in Mid-Wales. For people with little or no previous experience of meditation these retreats provide a structured introduction. They also provide an opportunity for people who have done other forms of meditation to explore this particular breathing mindfulness technique, with opportunities for discussion and individual guidance.
The weekend courses include group meetings and practices, individual practice time for both sitting and walking meditation, discussion, and one-to-one consultations with the teachers. There is also usually some time to go for walks: the land around the Centre gives a rich and peaceful environment which can help to nourish the practice.
Introductory Weekends in 2017
- 3rd -5th March
- 9th to 11th June
- 6th to 8th October
Introductory Week in 2017
- Introduction to Samatha week Sunday 9th July to Saturday 15th July.
- The course is aimed at those who have not previously done this form of Samatha practice
- To apply please fill in the online application form. All applicants will be contacted by one of the Samatha teachers taking the course before their booking is confirmed
- The cost of the week will be £200 (£100 for the unwaged)
- If you have any questions about the course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Intermediate Weekend Courses in 2017
- 5th to 7th May
- 10th to 12th November
Intermediate Week in 2017
- Intermediate Samatha week Sunday 8th October to Saturday 14th October.
- The Continuing Samatha week is for people who have been on Samatha introductory or intermediate courses.
- The course will support meditators in developing their practice.
- There will be opportunities for discussion both individually and as a group.
Continuing Samatha practice after the weekend or week
For people who wish to continue with the Samatha practice, some contact with a group and a teacher provides support in developing meditation.
- You may find there is a Samatha group near where you live – click on the menu item "Classes" or "Find your nearest class" above
- You might like to return to Greenstreete for an Intermediate Weekend to learn more about Samatha practice – see above for dates
- You are welcome to come on further Introductory Weekends instead – or as well
- You can maintain contact with a teacher independently of a course or a group